This a great time to become an angel investor at Dorset Business Angels (DBA), especially with UK Business Angels Association, (UKBAA), where we are a member, doing so much for investors. For example, there will be a new regional member hub opening 22nd March offering a physical focal point from which to build and connect the angel community. As well as free co-working, UKBAA’s Hubs, open to DBA members offers, hot desking and meeting space, and an opportunity for investors to get to know other investors in their region, identify new angel investors, access a programme of training and support and interface with start-ups and scaleups from the local community. The hubs are a new benefit to complement the existing DBA and UKBAA member benefits and bring you some of the best angel investment opportunities both locally and nationally to your door. It can be fun, rewarding, a unique fascinating networking experience with like-minded successful people. Let me share more examples of the work DBA and UKBAA does with members.
UKBAA – their Members and Member Benefits
The UK Business Angels Association (UKBAA) is the national trade association for angel and early-stage investment, representing over 160 member organisations and around 18,000 investors. Business angels in the UK collectively invest an estimated £1.5 billion per annum and are therefore the UK’s largest source of investment for startups and early-stage businesses seeking to grow. A wide range of players make up the angel and early-stage ecosystem and UKBAA’s membership services are therefore tailored to suit these multiple constituents – including angel networks, syndicates, individual investors, early-stage VCs, equity crowdfunding platforms, accelerators, professional advisers and intermediaries. There are different types of member including the following.
- An angel investor, private investor or high net worth (HNW) individual.
- Can be a member of an existing syndicate, network or fund.
- Must be self-certified as an HNW or sophisticated investor.
- A small group from 2-50 investors.
- Investing either collectively or in smaller groups on an adhoc basis.
- Unregulated or regulated under the FCA.
- May also have an investment vehicle or sidecar fund.
Angel networks and groups
- A structured or constituted business angel group.
- Can be investing through syndicates on an adhoc or regular basis.
- May be unregulated or regulated under the FCA.
- May also operate a sidecar or EIS/SEIS fund.
Other Key Membership Types
- Professional Advisory Firms.
- Crowdfunding and online investment platforms.
- Venture capital and investment funds.
- Corporates – aimed at large leading players in their industry with the capability and objective to play a significant role in the angel and early-stage investment market. Read more on the UKBAA website.
Key member benefits include
- Events and networking across the UK.
- Technical support – Guides and tools to support your investments.
- Tailored introductions – Based on your experience, geography and sector interests – (members only).
- Exclusive investor events – Network with like-minded investors (members only).
Member Benefits for Dorset Business Angels Investors
Our experienced professional team offer a carefully selected range of high growth companies, all of which receive investment ready training and preparation to aid the investment process prior to our regular company presentation events. We already have a solid reputation for providing access to some of the hottest deals in the UK.
Angel Investment comes in many shapes and sizes. Investments from as little as £5K help businesses advancing their growth, enables you to add value in more ways than in a financial aspect, and is potentially highly tax efficient. By becoming a member of Dorset Business Angels, you join an established, respected and successful network of like-minded business people.
Key Benefits Include
- Access to four Investor Dinners, book now for the coming pitch event.
- Networking with like-minded High-Net-Worth and Sophisticated Investors.
- Opportunities to share in funding rounds from previous pitches.
- We supply access to investor information via dropbox with member only access. This is managed by our Vice Chair Frank Guinn. Email moc.tenretnitbnull@nniugknarf who manages this for our members.
- Notification of deal opportunities outside of events that arise via on-line communications.
- News and opportunities from UK Business Angels Association with 30+ networks, VCs and crowdfunding partners plus links to our network of financial partners.
- We are partners to Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and have access to specific events, tickets and offers.
- A DBA Facebook page. A LinkedIn Group. A Twitter site.
- An Investors’ Conference with national speakers, every two years.
- We are sponsored by Saffery Champness Chartered Accountants tax experts available to advise, Investec Wealth & Investment and Financial Advisers and Laceys Solicitors recent Dorset Legal Award winners for Commercial Team of the Year 2018.
Membership is just £30 per annum with no joining fee. Just contact me, via the Dorset Business Angels contact us page. You will also need to self-certify, please read more below on this. More on this on our DBA About Us Page, speak to me if you need more. It explains how investors need to be High Net Worth or Sophisticated Investors.
This a great time to become an angel investor at Dorset Business Angels, especially with UK Business Angels Association, (UKBAA), where we are a member, doing so much for investors. DBA and UKBAA member benefits bring you some of the best angel investment opportunities both locally and nationally to your door. It can be fun, rewarding, a unique fascinating networking experience with like-minded successful people.
Peter Eales BA Hons Chartered Marketer FCIM FIDM
Founder Director Dorset Business Angels
MD o i solutions limited